Thursday, November 4, 2010

Burlap Table Runner and tutorial

It's not very often that I have an idea in my head and it turns out exactly as I pictured! For a while now, I've seen burlap table runners all over blogland. As beautiful as they are, none of them looked the way I wanted mine to look. I wanted it with 'finished' edges and huge, white, gathered, ruffles on the ends.

Like this:



I started with a piece of burlap (from my FIL's shop) cut it into the size and width that I wanted. I ironed over the sides and stiched it down:


The white fabric came from IKEA, called 'Lenda'. Lately, it's my 'go to' fabric for just about everything! It's a yummy creamy colour, not too white.



I then cut the fabric double the width I wanted. (I wanted mine about 6-7 inches wide, so I cut the fabric 14 inches)



I then folded the fabric lengthwise:


Stitched up the sides 5/8 inches and the top 5/8 inches most of the way:


I ironed open the seams and flipped it right side out. Ironed it again to have it lay flat.  I then gathered the top and pinned it onto the burlap, right sides together (gathering involved decreasing the tension on my machine and pulling the bottom thread):


Unfortunately with the gathers, I wasn't able to use the sewing machine  to attach the ruffle (I broke 2 needles trying!). I just hand sewed it on and it looks great!


I have very little sewing skills, so there is probably a much easier way to do this. However, my sewing expert is away at the moment, so I'm stuck figuring it out for myself! (At least it keeps me out of the Hallowe'en candy!).

Now I'm off to iron it! I was so excited to have it done that I forgot to do that last step!

No comments:

Post a Comment