Saturday, November 13, 2010

A 2 1/2 year Project

O.K. maybe it didn't take 2 1/2 years to finish, but it did take 2 1/2 years to do something with it.

When we moved into our new (to us) house, this piece of furniture didn't fit. Anywhere.

at our old house - can't believe I found the picture!

We knew that if we were to sell it, we would never get out of it what we put into it. So we put it in the garage, under the stairs, covered by a blanket, intending to get to it some day.

I had a lot of ideas, but just didn't know where I could most use the cabinet. I thought of converting it to a linen cabinet or maybe a place to store china in our dining room. But first, I had to convince my hubby.  

There's one phone call that Mr. O.M gets at work, quite frequently, that absolutely strikes fear into his heart.

Me: Hi honey...do you know where I can find the cordless drill*?
     (*You can subtitute: staple gun, wood filler, electric sander etc.)

Mr. O.M: Ummm...what do you need it for?

For the most part, I have to say that he's pretty supportive of my projects. I have ideas, but sometimes, I have to 'work' on him so he can come around to my way of thinking. One 'way' is painting wood furniture. The way I looked at it, why have a piece of furniture in the garage, when it can be put to use in our home?

The finished project:


We changed the hardware from the black:



Love it!!
I added a 'fabric curtain' to the one door because I drove into the cabinet with the truck and broke it  wanted to. 


The girls chose the fabric out of my bin. It used to be curtains in my first apartment! I gathered the material and staped it to the inside.


A toy cabinet!

The back panel was cheap, so 'we' replaced it with beadboard panel. The buckets we had fit perfect. The only cost was the $20 paint (and time)!

No comments:

Post a Comment